Whatever your point of view on the state of the world today, I think we can all agree that we are all striving for a little bit of tranquillity and peace in our lives. Busy family lives, hectic work demands, and everything else In between means that though we all want a serene home, it may not fit into our schedules. There are some easy updates you can make to your home, however, a few of which I describe below. These are certainly not tips for world peace or even a less overwhelming life, but they are little ways to give you a moment of quiet from the chaos.
Create a moment when you first walk into your home that evokes calm using flowers and art. I love how orchids give an immediate zen moment to an entry. Many find caring for orchids daunting, but it's much easier than people realize, and they can last from 3-6 months, making them a more economical choice than having fresh flowers every day. Art absolutely brings calm to a person, so display your favorite art books along with the orchid. When you walk in you will immediately be reminded of that special piece that makes you happy and serene. You can also hang your favorite photograph or painting in your foyer so it's the first thing to welcome you home from a long day.
At the end of the day when you enter your bathroom, set the mood for a relaxing, quiet bath or long, hot shower with a few simple and easy ideas.
1) Add dimmers to your lighting to set the light you want. The dimmers from Lutron are economical and easily available.
2) Create a peaceful bath with candles, bath salts and flowers.
3) Change your standard shower head to a rain shower head. Rain showers are available in all price ranges and are generally easy to install. Find one that works with your current hardware and installation should be a breeze.
Finally build a bed you want to sleep in.
1) Layer the bed with pillows and blankets so that you can sink right in.
2) Splurge on higher count cotton sheets.